10.13.2003

TeeVee Reviews Carnivale: "Apparently the show is about some struggle between Good and Evil, played respectively -- I think -- by Stahl and Brown, and I only figured out that much because Anderson helpfully comes on at the beginning of the very first show and pretty much says that's what the show's about. Good thing, too, because otherwise I'd be hopelessly lost."

I really really wanted to like this show. Really. But the writers are not making it easy. I know more about the inside workings of a carnival at this point than I do about any of the characters or their motivations. And nothing ever happens! Sure, they move from town to town, but nothing about the central plot has been revealed; so Ben found a photo of his mother and father? That was 3 episodes ago and nothing has been explained. Ben speaks only about 10 words per episode, and I'm pretty sure they are the same 10 words every episode.

While I would be completely justified in dropping Carnivale from my viewing roster, I know I won't. I'm going to ride this one out until I find out who the hell these people are supposed to be, even if I wind up choking on the show's excessive dust.

No comments: