9.03.2004

Soldiers Storm Russian School; Fate of Hostages Is Unclear: "As the battle began hundreds of relatives standing at the security cordon around the school began to scream and sob with despair, only to regain hope as children emerged alive. Two girls emerged from the back seat of a car, their clothes tattered and stained with dried blood, and raced into their family's courtyard near the school, where they met and hugged a woman who appeared to be their mother."

God, I knew it wouldn't end well. In fact, the ending is still ongoing, with military and rebel forces still fighting in and around the school. The images of the bloodied, bruised children fleeing the scene in just their underwear are ones I won't quickly forget.

I'm sick of crying over news stories. The bombings, the shootings, the plane crashes, the exploding buses, the murdered families. I heard my first Amber Alert this morning, for an 18-pound one-year-old after her mother was found stabbed to death and stuffed into a garbage bag. What drives us to such cruelty?

I need distraction. Maybe there is some good news out there.

No comments: