4.20.2005

"Have we a new pope??"

Possibly the best line of this week's Deadwood. Not a really tightly written episode, more a collection of great scenes, a chance for Al to wander around the camp and catch up with all the goings-on.

A few things:

  • Charlie Utter was the bomb. His scene with Joanie was so wonderful: "I am your friend, Joanie. Don't ever walk past me." His beating of Wolcott; his concern for Jane; his reaction to hearing Wolcott read Hickok's letter - Dayton Callie is a great actor.
  • I loved Al doing his physical therapy. And his dress-up clothes. However, he does need a haircut, as does Bullock.
  • Poor Jane. Her drinking's got the "upper hand" on her and it's breaking my heart.
  • I think my favorite moment was the reaction shot to Trixie's "Tread lightly, those who hope for p*ssy" comment. Bullock's expression was awesome.
  • I'm not sure if they'll ever take things in this direction (nor do I know whether I would want them to), but Al and Alma have some serious chemistry. Serious. I look forward to seeing future scenes with them together, over some f*cking Black Darjeeling tea, perhaps? Oh!
  • Cy Tolliver needs to die, if only for my sake. And Joanie's, maybe. She could inherit the Bella and I wouldn't have to deal with Mr. Granite-Face.
  • We had meeting peaches! Johnny's hurt expression when Tolliver turned his bowl upside down was priceless.

One additional comment: While I love Al just as much as the next guy, I hope they don't turn him into a "nice" guy. His scenes with Merrick, Trixie and Alma were wonderful (is there anyone McShane doesn't have chemistry with?), but I need to see the old ruthless Al to keep things interesting. Maybe he'll have Miss I killed once he's completely recovered from the stroke. One can only hope.

4 comments:

Esther said...

I'm not looking, I'm not looking. lol

Chris has the next 3 discs of Deadwood waiting for me. I can't wait to plop myself down on the couch and watch 'em. :-)

gina said...

Get to ploppin'!

Johnny_Canuck said...

Well, Gina I succumbed to your suggestion that this was a good series, and saw the first 3 discs (7 eps)of the 5 disc set of the first season.
This is truly a great series, I absolutely loved it, I can hardly wait to see the next eps.
And, I am jealous of you all seeing the new ones LOL

gina said...

JC - Yay!! I knew you'd like it.