5.30.2001

Have you ever had one of those perfect moments, where all the shit of every day life drops away and you realize that the only thing important in this world are the people you love? I think most of us don't recognize those moments when we are in them, as rare as they are; the moment needs to be reflected back upon you in order for you to see its perfection.

I had one of those moments Sunday night. I was together with my 2 sisters, Sheila and Mary, at Mary's house in Rhode Island. Mary's husband and kids were in bed and the 3 of us were watching "Miss Congeniality". During one of our many pauses for bathroom and snack trips, one of us said something that we all thought was just the funniest damn thing anyone has ever said. There we were, 3 grown women aged 36, 34 and 32, lying around the living room in our pajamas and sleeping bags, illuminated only by the electric-blue glow of the television, all laughing so hard we couldn't see each other for the tears in our eyes. Once we calmed down, wiped our eyes and made yet another run to the bathroom after almost wetting our respective pants, we went back to watching the movie. (Don't bother btw - it's not nearly as funny as we are).

It wasn't until I was driving back home to Connecticut the next day that I realized how lucky I am to have the relationship I have with my sisters. No matter how screwed up life gets, no matter how daunting and unpredictable the future may seem, we will always have each other, as corny as that sounds. Those simple, perfect moments, where everything that we think we are is stripped away and all that is left is what we are to each other, those are what make all the other shit worthwhile.

No comments: