5.16.2001

Well, Ladies and Germs, tonight is the big season finale of The West Wing, on NBC at 9:00 P.M. EST. The story of the President's failure to disclose his illness has been gripping, but the last 5 minutes of last week's episode knocked me on my ass. And it looks like we can expect more of the same tonight.

How about some quotes from the show in honor of this being Finale Day?

"When I think of all the work you put in to get me to run, when I think of all the work you did to get me elected... I could pummel your ass with a baseball bat." President Bartlet, Sea. 1, Ep. 13

"Today for the first time in history, the largest group of Americans living in poverty are children. One in five children live in the most abject, dangerous, hopeless, back-breaking, gut-wrenching poverty any of us could imagine. One in five, and they’re children. If fidelity to freedom of democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received. Let me put it this way: I voted against the bill because I didn’t want to make it hard for people to buy milk. I stopped some money from flowing into your pocket. If that angers you, if you resent me, I completely respect that. But if you expect anything different from the President of the United States, you should vote for someone else" President Bartlet, Sea. 2, Ep. 1

"There are two things you never want to let people see how you make ’em: laws and sausages." Chief of Staff, Leo McGarry, Sea. 1, Ep. 4

"Because I’m tired of it. Year, after year, after year, after year. Having to choose between the lesser of who cares. Of trying to get myself excited about a candidate who can speak in complete sentences. Of setting the bar so low I can hardly look at it. They say a good man can’t get elected. Well, I don’t believe that.” Chief of Staff Leo, Sea. 2, Ep. 1

"Obviously there’s one story that’s gonna be dominating the news around the world for the next few days. And it would be easy to think that President Bartlet, Joshua Lyman, and Stephanie Abbott were the only people who were victims of a gun crime last night. They weren’t. Mark Davis and Sheila Evans of Philadelphia were killed by a gun last night. He was a biology teacher and she was a nursing student. Tina bishop and Belinda Larkin were killed with a gun last night. They were twelve. There were 36 homicides last night. 480 sexual assaults. 3411 robberies. 3685 aggravated assaults. All at gun point. And if anyone thinks those crimes could have been prevented if the victims themselves had been carrying guns, I’d only remind you that the President of the United States was shot last night while surrounded by the best trained guards in the history of the world." Press Secretary C.J. Cregg

"You know, I’m so sick of Congress I could vomit." Deputy Chief of Staff, Josh Lyman

Enjoy the show!

No comments: