12.02.2001



This is an AP photo of the house on my street whose residents received a letter contaminated with anthrax. In his press conference, Governor Rowland explained that the "insignificant amount" that was found on the letter was indeed insignificant - one spore. He explained that it takes 8,000 to 10,000 spores to make half of the population ill, and significantly more than that to make the other half sick. I met up with our postman today as he was delivering our mail so I asked him how he was doing, what with all the "excitement". You may have seen him on the news - I was actually standing at my mailbox watching him as he was being filmed. I was putting some outgoing mail in the box when I saw him stopped up the street. I couldn't see the news crews from where I was standing, though. Anyhoo, he said that he was okay, and he told me that the contaminated letter was actually received by the residents 6 weeks ago. That makes me feel a bit better, at least as far as this being an ongoing thing. I'm still washing my hands after opening the mail and keeping it in a Ziploc bag for now, though.

No comments: