3.09.2004

Is "The Sopranos" a chick show?: "But, argues Barreca, the emphasis on the domestic doesn't break with 'The Sopranos'' history; it merely reinforces what has been bubbling under the gory surface ever since Season 1: 'They are drawing on what they established with [Tony's late mother] Livia and [Tony's sister] Janice and Meadow. There are all these mothers and daughters -- you've always had Tony surrounded by the feminine.' "

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a chick show, but I also wouldn't label it a mob show. First and foremost, for me, it has always been a family drama, focusing in particular on Tony's relationships with the women in his life (mother, wife, daughter, sister, therapist, mistresses). I still think that, of the entire season, the fight between Tony and Carmela in the pool house at the end of season 4 was extraordinarily good - one of the best scenes ever in that show, and that's saying something.

I watched this season's premiere last night, and loved it. Loved it loved it loved it. Great Paulie/Chris stufff (they mentioned the Russian!); A.J. and the Bear had me cracking up; Robert Loggia chewing the scenery in Uncle Jun's kitchen; and, of course, Tony and Dr. Melfi. The stage is set now (and Steve Buscemi arrives next week - yay!) and I am really looking forward to this season. God, it's so nice to have something to watch again.

No comments: