3.24.2004

Mi Vida Loca

Life has been insane the past few days, and will get even crazier over the next month or so. We found out yesterday that we got the house that we were the backup offer on! The seller withdrew (by mutual agreement with the other buyer) from the first offer and decided to go with us. Now the fun starts - I'm trying to hire a home inspector today, then we have the appraisal done, and unless there is anything serious that pops up, we work on the terms and the contract. It's a 3 bedroom ranch that has an in-law setup in the basement for our mother (with a bedroom, living room, full bath and eat-in kitchen). It also has a pool and a nicely landscaped little yard. We'll have to update the appliances and paint all the rooms (and eventually update the bathroom), but otherwise, it's in good condition. The sellers want to close by the end of April, so I will probably be even more absent than usual over the next few weeks, but I will keep you as updated as I can.

I also had a little scare with one of my cats, Winnie. She's 17 years old, and has been slowing down for a while now - basically just sleeping alot, but still looking like a much younger cat. Well, she's started having difficulty walking, standing, jumping on the bed - her back end was very wobbly. I took her to the vet Monday and yesterday and was relieved to find that she wasn't dying of cancer (which I was convinced of), but has a prolapsed disk between the 11th and 12th vertebrae, as well as some arthritis, and the inflammation is pressing on the nerve pathway that controls the back legs. So, we started a long term steroid treatment yesterday - one pill a day (prednisone) for the inflammation. If there is no improvement after 10 days, we'll do a cat (hehe) scan to see what our next move is. It may be my imagination, but she seemed improved already last night - unlike her normal routine, which basically consisted of lying in her bed, she walked around the apartment for over 2 hours, lying on the dog's bed, waiting for me outside the bathroom, bossing Petie around, and walking much more steadily. So I'm hopeful.

Now it's time for lunch.

No comments: