3.05.2004

When I was driving home I was thinking about my earlier post and came up with a follow-up question for you: What television show, if any, were you not allowed to watch when you were growing up?

While many of my friends were not allowed to watch Soap (presumable because of the gay character Jody, played by Billy Crystal), we watched and laughed along with my mother. "Saturday Night Live", however, was strictly off-limits. I was 11 when the show started, so I can understand her not wanting to expose me to it. I distinctly remember one Saturday night. I was rubbing my mother's back and she fell asleep on the couch. I stayed sitting there, on the floor next to the couch, not moving an inch for fear of waking her. Thankfully, the TV was already on an NBC channel, since there were no remotes back then and I would have had to get up and turn the channel. I was thrilled and scared to death when the show came on. I don't remember much of what I saw, except for this: that night's show contained the skit with the Bees at summer camp, and the Bees were "buzzing off" in their bunks. Right in the middle of the skit, without moving a muscle or opening her eyes, my mother menacingly said, "Turn it off and go to bed."

I don't think I watched SNL again until I was a senior in high school.

No comments: