4.26.2006

Idol Top 6: The Pills Kick In.

Who else thinks that was the weirdest night so far this season? A night whose defining moment, I think, was the spectacle of Paula completely losing her shit. Awesome! Simon seemed to be enjoying the meltdown as well. I have to say, however, that I have about had it with the judges' bickering, between themselves and with Ryan. It's a waste of time and makes them look completely unprofessional. Oh, who the hell am I kidding? Look who I'm talking about!

So, our guest this week was Andrea Bocelli and producer David Foster. Foster's apparently a complete prick, but I do think he gave the singers some good advice.

Things do not start off well.

Katharine not only sings in the dreaded first position, but she is wearing a big yellow dress that's gorgeous from the waist up and a VPL nightmare from the waist down. The wardrobe miscalculation worsens when the slit in the skirt pops open and we see London, we see France. Worst of all, however, is the absolutely baseless thrashing she gets from the judges. What's going on here? I thought she did a wonderful job and I don't understand what all that harshness was about.

Next up, Elliot, who called Ryan before the show to see what he was wearing. That boy just looks better and better with each passing week, doesn't he? I didn't know that song, but I could tell he sounded great. Not quite "make-me-cry" great, Paula, but maybe that's just me.

Oh Kellie, Kellie, Kellie. The pre-performance chat with Ryan was a blatant sales pitch, the pompadour is not a good look and even Bocelli knew you were a blonde. All of that would be irrelevant, however, if you could actually sing. Alas...

Paris, who hasn't had any "love thoughts" yet, impresses the hell out of Bocelli and Foster, channels Gladys Knight and sings the hell out of "The Way We Were", and will probably go home.

Taylor was off last night. Simon was right, he looked uncomfortable up there. I thought that was a pretty good song choice for his voice, but it was just an average performance.

Bringing up the rear, we had Chris in the pimp spot, yet again. You all know I am not a big Chris fan, and he still looked like he wanted to reach down through my throat and rip my heart out because that's what it's like when you really love a woman, but I have to admit that he did a great job with a crappy song.

OK, so...Bottom 3? If I could, I'd put Simon, Randy and Paula there, but I can't so I say the Bottom 3 will be Kellie, Paris and Katharine. Find out tonight at 9:00 (not 9:30 as I erroneously posted last week - sorry!)

1 comment:

gina said...

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but thanks for all the comments!

I heard on the grapevine that Taylor was supposed to sing "Try a Little Tenderness" but the producers told him 1 or 2 days from performance night that he couldn't. They said it didn't fit the theme of the night and that "Andrea Bocelli wouldn't sing that kind of song." Whatever. I think he probably sounded awesome and that scared the crap out of them. It certainly explains why he looked so unhappy.