11.27.2007

Drive Thru Reviews

I've seen quite a few movies lately. Here are some thoughts on them.

Ratatouille - This felt more like a regular, live action film than an animated one. And the animation was extraordinary, especially the "sets". If the rats weren't talking I would have sworn the locations were real!

Night at the Museum - I wanted to see this even though Ben Stiller is in it, because it looked kind of funny. And it was. It's a fun family film.

My Super Ex-Girlfriend - This was horrifyingly BAD. Don't even bother.

Chinatown - I've seen this movie a few times and it never disappoints. A convergence of the perfect screenplay, director, writer and actors make this one of the best movies, ever.

Grey Gardens - I can't believe I'd never heard of this movie before. It's a documentary from 1975 about an eccentric mother and daughter (Big Edie and Little Edie Bouvier Beale, aunt and cousin to Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis) who were living in virtual squalor in their dilapidated mansion in the Hamptons (the titular "Grey Gardens"). It is absolutely fascinating. Imagine if Charles Dickens wrote Sunset Boulevard and you'd have a pretty good idea of what Grey Gardens is like. As a side note: I work with a woman who is one bump on the head away from being Little Edie, I swear. Anyway, try to see this one if you can!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool, I had checked out Grey Gardens from the library a week or 2 ago and didn't watch it, I will definitely get it again. And watch it this time.

Anonymous said...

One more thing... saw this on another site. I think you liked Veronica Mars, there is an offer to get the music from the show free on itunes. It is 34 songs, not bad for free. Go to http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91766 for instructions.