10.22.2008

Heroes: Episode 3.06

Dying of the Light

So I watched this last night and wow, it was really good! They're still not the brightest bunch of super-powered people, but the storytelling has improved dramatically.

I thought the Russian Roulette scene with Claire and her two mothers was really well done. It had slipped my mind that Claire can heal until she told her mother to shoot her. Knowing that Claire can't die should have drained the scene of suspense or drama, but having her mother be the one to shoot her just amped it up.

I couldn't care less about Parkman, but the turtle is cute. And Daphne's character is developing nicely. A question occurs to me: If in the future that Parkman saw Molly was living with Parkman and Daphne, then where is she now? Wasn't she living with Mohinder and Parkman at the end of last season? Surely she's not still living with Mohinder??

Speaking of Mohinder, I finally realized what it is about him that really bugs: I can't stand his voice and fake accent. He's definitely more interesting as a villainous bug-man, but the voice...it's just so...milquetoast-y? Is that the word I'm looking for?

Tracy continues to outshine Nikki as a character. It doesn't take much to trick Mohinder, but it was still cool when she did.

I'm satisfied with the explanation for Ando's "death" and I'm happy that the situation hasn't made Ando angry towards Hiro. The Pre-Cog shovel antics were hilarious and I'm glad that someone finally told Hiro that he needs to slow down and actually think about what he's doing.

I was sort of disappointed that Adam was killed, but only because he's essentially Sark and who doesn't like Sark, right? But then I thought, this show has WAY too much going on and WAY too many characters, so the loss of one, even a likable one, is almost welcome.

It appears that Arthur Petrelli is the original "power absorber" and his sons Peter and Sylar inherited diluted versions of his ability. Arthur not only takes someone's power - he seems to take it completely away from a person (via touch), unlike Peter who is more of a mimic and "absorbs" someone's powers just by being near them. Sylar also "absorbs" powers, but by learning how a person's brain produces it; like with Peter, the person still has their power, but unfortunately, tin-canning someone's skull and poking around in their brain usually proves lethal.

Anyhoo, I say YAY to the power re-set for Peter! Way to dig yourself out of that hole, writers! But do you think Arthur also took the power Peter was born with? Is Peter a non-Hero now?

Lots of questions, but for the first time this season I am actually looking forward to next week.

No comments: