1.03.2003

Here's an interesting NYTimes article about the use of laptops inside the college classroom. I in no way question the usefulness of a notebook computer at school. But to be logged on the Internet and surfing while attending a lecture? Uh, why? Aren't you supposed to be listening to the professor? Taking, um, notes, perhaps? Am I that out of touch?

The mention of the issues of "etiquette" and "distraction" hit a nerve with me; I have rarely come across anything more rude than a customer on his/her cellphone in the store. They are walking around yelling; if they're wearing a headset, they look like some lunatic yelling at himself. I really love it when they come up to the register to pay for their movies and they can't bother to either end the call or tell the person on the other end to hang on. Instead, they continue to yell into the phone while I'm ringing them out. So incredibly rude.

No comments: