1.13.2003

A week! It's been a week?! Oops.

How about we start things off with a light topic, say, capital punishment? I'll say right off that my stance on capital punishment is a bit shaky. I believe it is inherently wrong to take another life no matter what side of the law you are on; there are some people, however, whose crimes are so hideous that the only solution that seems appropriate is to remove them from existence altogether. Even then, I question the motive behind a death sentence. Are we killing them to punish them, because we don't know what else to do with them, or is it that we would prefer to be rid of them and not to be reminded of how despicable a human being can be?

I applaud Illinois Governor George Ryan's decision to clear out his state's death row; not because I think these people deserve a second chance - I don't know a thing about their cases. I credit the Governor for making a landmark and controversial decision based not on politics (his career was already over) but on conscience and what he thought was the right thing to do.

Let the slings and arrows begin! ;)

No comments: