9.29.2005

Last night's LOST, among other TV things.

Quickly, because I should be working.

LOST, 2 episodes into the season, has been quite good. A few thoughts on last night's episode:
  • Even though, plotwise, we are at the same place at the end of last night's episode as were last week, I liked that they backtracked and showed us what transpired down the hatch before Jack got there.
  • Michael was sort of annoying me last night. I wanted to smack him and tell him to stop being such a baby and be nice to Sawyer. He did just save your life for crying out loud. A "thank you for resuscitating me", perhaps? His flashback didn't really do anything for me, either, but the toy polar bear was a nice connection.
  • Even though I felt bad for Sawyer because of the way Michael was treating him, I have to remember that they have only been on the island for 44 days, not the year that we have been watching them, and Sawyer was pretty much a dick to all of them until just recently.
  • Speaking of '44 days', what was that expression on Desmond's face when Locke told him that's how long they've been on the island? It looked almost like an "oops-I-guess-I-shouldn't-have-pushed-that-button-44-days-ago" look. Did he bring down the plane? And who is the "him" that Desmond thought Locke was? His replacement? And he's wondering if the world is still out there, huh? What does he think would have happened to it? Nuclear holocaust? Alien invasion? Human extinction from a disease or bio-weapon? That's the theory I'm favoring right now - because of the quarantine sign and his injections, him asking Locke how many of his people had gotten sick and how Rousseau said all of her crewmates got sick. His hidey hole definitely looks like a bunker of some kind.
  • The computer - is the well-worn "execute" button on the computer keyboard the button that Walt was talking about that was bad? What's going on when Desmond enters the numbers? At first I thought those beeps were an alarm because Jack had come down the hatch, but then I remembered that the beeps are what woke Desmond in the premiere. It seems like those flipping numbers are a counter of some kind, and when they reach a certain number (236 or so last night), you have to enter the magic numbers to reset them to 108 (the sum of 4 + 8 + 15 + 16 +23 +42). What is it counting down to? Or what else could it be?
  • I liked Kate last night. The candy bar scene was great.
  • Every scene with Michael and Sawyer on the rafts, I was distracted with the thought, "But where's Jin?!!" and "Jin better not be dead, so help me God!" I can't tell you how relieved I was to hear him yelling on the beach, even though he was bound and running from the "Udders". I was pretty sure I heard him yelling in Korean in the scene where Michael and Sawyer find each other in the water in the beginning. But then when they didn't find him in the water, I figured I had mis-heard. I've taped it so I'll check on the rewatch.
  • Finally, I read at TWoP that the shark had the logo that's on the items in the bunker tattooed on its tailfin! They say it says "DHARMA", the hindu word, not Greg's wife. I'll be checking for that on a rewatch, too.

Whew, that wasn't really all that quick, was it?

As far as other TV goes, I just wanted to mention that I checked out a couple of new shows, How I Met Your Mother and Invasion, and neither one has really grabbed me. HIMYM was just way too corny and the laugh track was distracting, especially immediately following Arrested Development. I skipped Invasion last night, but that was mostly because I was tired and had a few things I had to do before bed. It did interest me last week, so on another night, with LOST as a lead in, I will probably check it out again.

And don't forget -- Alias premieres tonight at 8:00 PM (EST) on ABC!

ETA: CSI also premiered last Thu (and there's a new episode tonight), but the only noteworthy thing I have to say about it is Warwick is married?? NOOOO!!

1 comment:

gina said...

Rat fink tattletale!