9.23.2005

Smiling through the tears.

I had the best laugh in the car this morning. Larry David was being interviewed on NPR (his show is Curb Your Enthusiasm on HBO and he's a Seinfeld creator). I never intentionally watch CYE because his character is such a complete a$$, and he makes such an idiot out of himself, that it can at times be almost unbearable to watch. But when I do stumble across it and actually sit and watch, it is ­always funny. Well, they played a clip this morning that had tears coming out my eyes, I was laughing so hard. He was telling the interviewer about how he’s really influenced by his parents and where he grew up in Brooklyn – everyone knew everyone’s business and everyone was always yelling. I don’t know what the episode was about, or who the woman was, but the clip had something to do with Christmas and they’re all yelling:

Woman: “Larry! Did you eat the cookies?!”

Larry: “Well, yeah, yeah, I ate the cookies, so what?”

Woman: “Larry! They were for the manger scene! You ate the Baby Jesus and the Virgin Mary!!”

Larry: “I’m sorry! I’m sorry! What can I say? I thought they were animal cookies!”

Woman: “Animal cookies??! Larry, you ate the Baby Jesus!’’

Larry (sort of sheepishly): “Well, I thought he was a monkey.”

That was a good way to start the day, and I’m going to try to keep in that mood in spite of just reading about the evacuee bus carrying 45 elderly passengers that exploded in Texas, killing 24 of them.

And now this.

Maybe someone really did eat the Baby Jesus, because he sure seems to be among the missing.

No comments: