3.01.2007

Idol: Top 10 Girls - Dedication Night

The girls got a little wobbly last night.

Gina - Dedicates "Alone" to her boyfriend Joe. This was Carrie's AI breakthrough song, and I wonder why the heck she would invite that comparison. She's a little rough to begin with but I thought she did a good job and this song suits her more than last week's. And I like her personality more this week.

Alaina - Sings the Dixie Chicks' "Not Ready to Make Nice" and dedicates it to her mother. This is a better song choice, she looks very pretty, and things start off alright; then she starts to run out of breath and things go downhill from there. She's just not a great singer.

You know, Paula's scaring me with how lucid and put-together she's been so far this season. Am I right? And Randy is even more useless than ever. Instead of paying him, they should just write down his worn out phrases ("I don't know dog", "it was kind of pitchy", "you started out a little rough", "I'm not feelin' it", "that was really weird", "that was da bomb") on pieces of paper, mix them up in a hat, and when it would be his turn to judge, draw 3 of them out and read them in any random order.

But I digress.

Lakisha - Her dedication goes out to her grandmother and her walker. She does a great job with the AI standby "Midnight Train to Georgia", by Gladys Knight. She just comes alive when she sings. She's tough to criticize, so Simon has to reach for something and decides that her shirt is too orange.

Melinda - Dedicates her performance to her stylist and her vocal coach. She sings "My Funny Valentine" and she's gives me goosebumps; that was just beautiful. Or as Simon said, "That was incredible."

Antonella - I don't envy her having to follow Melinda. God, I'm afraid to look. After being told last week that the Aerosmith song was "too big" for her, she chooses to sing, of all things, a Celine Dion song. WTF? Does she really think she's that good? She dedicates it to her brother Vincenzo and it's just ear-crushingly bad. Ironically enough, she's the only singer who has chosen a song that's fit for a dedication. We muting the judges on and off, so we missed her Jennifer Hudson remark.

Jordin - Another dedication to a younger brother, filled with emotion. She wears a very pretty dress and sings that Christina Aguilera song from Mulan. I don't care for the song, but it's an appropriate choice for 17-year-old girl. I preferred her performance last week, and I think the emotion of the dedication interfered with her singing.

The special guest tonight is Kellie Pickler?? Kellie Pickler? I they're going to have someone from last season who didn't win, we want Elliot!

Stephanie - She dedicates her song to her parents, blah blah blah. Apparently it's a Beyonce song, and it sounds like a bit of a mess. She can definitely sing, but that arrangement was all over the place. That may be the way it was supposed to be, but I found it very un-melodic, if that's a word.

Leslie - She sings a Nina Simone song (which I found out later is the same song that AJ sang the night before - is that right?) and dedicates it to her late Grandpa Bob. She's a complete goofball, but I think I like her and I hope she stays around for a while longer. This competition needs a little more goofiness. And she brings out the sour pickle juice in Simon.

Haley - Her dedication goes out to her fiancee Bobby. She tries to "rock out" with Whitney Houston's "Queen of the Night", but it's really corny. She definitely went in a different direction but I don't think she pulled it off. Simon brings her to tears by telling her that's she's one of the vulnerable ones tonight.

Sabrina - She sings another Houston song (when will they ever learn?) and dedicates it to her Grammy (hey, that's what we called our grandmother!). It's very shouty and she bobbled a few notes here and there. Not as good as last week, and she knows it.

I think Leslie and Haley are going home. Antonella has at least another week in her - she's the current VFTW contestant.

The results show is on tonight, from 8:00 to 9:00 PM.

No comments: