3.29.2007

LOST: Episode 3-14



Expose

I had no idea that this episode was about Nikki and Paolo, and if I had, I probably would have been dreading it. As it turns out, it was an awesome episode! Razzle dazzle!

It functioned very well as a stand-alone episode, dispensed quickly with characters that served almost no function, and the story managed to fill in some blanks and tie up a couple of loose ends. It reminded me of an old Twilight Zone episode.

The Redshirts

(or, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead)

I liked the way Nikki and Paolo were juxtaposed against our main core group of characters: People dying all around them after a plane crash? "Where are my diamonds?" Another plane crash to explore? "Nah". A sealed concrete tunnel to explore? "Nah". They just didn't care - they had more important things on their mind, I guess.

I was completely surprised by the twist at the end. I was wondering why they kept showing their dead faces and now I know why- they weren't dead! I loved the different things that Sawyer and Hurley thought Nikki was saying - "power lines", "plywood", "Paolo lies!" - when she was actually saying "paralyzed."

And now they are dead. The question is, will they remain that way? In the real world, there is no way that anyone could survive being buried under all of the sand. The weight alone would kill a person. (God, just thinking about it is freaking me out) And I hope they do remain dead. But what about what John said to Paolo: "Things don't stay buried on this island." That makes me think their story is not yet finished.

Razzle Dazzle

How weird was that opening flashback?! Weird in an awesome, cheesy way. Particularly awesome: Billy Dee! Another hint that we may see Nikki and/or Paolo again was given when, after filming "Corvette's" death scene, Howie told Nikki that they could always "bring her character back." Hmm.

Familiar Faces

I like the way they integrated Nikki and Paolo into past events and with characters who are long gone: in the airport with Boone and Shannon, at the scene of the crash, with Arzt, with Ethan, at the "live together, die alone" speech, etc. It was pretty well done. Watching the scene of the crash on the beach reminded me that I have seen every bit of LOST except for the first 20 minutes or so - the actual plane crash. I'll always feel like I'm not as authentic a fan because of that. I also LOVED the scenes relating the Pearl Station. Now we know why Paolo was so opposed to going along for the trip and why he had to use the bathroom. The scene that he overheard between Juliet and Benry was a nice little nugget, too.

Vincent

He knew they weren't dead.

Charlie Death Watch

I was proud of Charlie for telling Sun the truth. I love it when these people actually talk to each other. Desmond had better step up his Charlie patrols, though, just in case Jin finds out.

And speaking of Desmond...I can't find a screencap! My great plan of posting a picture of Desmond if he makes even the tiniest appearance in an episode is dashed before it can even begin. I will shall not be deterred, however, and will keep looking.

Questions

Did Paolo ever use that walkie-talkie?

Why didn't he warn Jack and the rest about Benry and Juliet? Maybe he didn't want them to find the Pearl Station and possibly the diamonds? Yeah, that's probably it.

Are Nikki and/or Paolo still alive? I hope not, but with this show, you can never tell.

1 comment:

Michael Markowitz said...

According to the official podcast (why aren't you listening to that? It's the best!) they are, indeed, dead.

Also, the original idea was for an entire episode's flashback to end up being an episode of Expose... the surprise at the end would be Billy Dee. (Who, by the way, the part was written for. The writers are HUGE fans) But the stories got so backed up, it became a one-shot. I loved it. Like you said, it felt like a Twilight Zone... or actually more like an Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

The producers alluded to us seeing that Locke was an Expose fan last season. Do you remember that?

And on another note, we weren't supposed to recognize that girl at the end of last night's show, right?