3.21.2007

Idol Top 11: Performances

It's British Invasion night, with Lulu and Peter Noone of Herman's Hermits as this week's guest coaches. I'm looking forward to some of these performances because I love this music, but I must warn you: I've got a bad sinus infection, I'm hopped up on drugs and I'm not feeling very generous tonight.

Haley - "Tell Him" - I just don't like her style, and sorry for the cliche but she's really cabaret. She does have a killer bod and legs, which she uses to her maximum benefit. Passable.

Chris R. - (my ears are bleeding already) - "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Cryin'" - I appreciate the effort but I just don't think he can sing, I'm sorry. He's just way too much up in his nose when he sings. I agree that it's his best performance so far, but in my eyes that ain't sayin' much.

Stephanie - "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" - God, I love this song. She did alright, but she seemed really detached from the song. Simon's right, she needs to recapture some of her edge.

Blake - "It's the Time of the Season" - I just love the way he sings. When he sings. The beatbox crap actually fit the song, but I could still do without it. Best performance so far tonight. Does he seem to be getting a little cocky? Or has he always been so and I just haven't noticed?

Ryan - stop! the dancing! my eyes!

Lakisha - "Diamonds Are Forever" - She does Shirley Bassey proud, but it felt a little old for her. Technically, it was very good, but it was too dated and old-fashioned.

Phil - "Tobacco Road" - Why don't you try singing a song that more people know? God he's trying his little heart out, isn't he? Bluesy is one thing that Phil is not. Just a weird song choice for me.

Jordin - "I Who Have Nothing" - Gotta give it to those Brits - they made some super-dramatic songs in the 60s, didn't they? She's doing a very good - very good job. (who is Simon winking at?)

Sanjaya - "You Really Got Me" - I have no words. I feel like that little girl crying in the audience, but for a completely different reason. She is who is voting for him, America, her and old people. (and maybe India, too, right Hol?) He ain't goin' nowhere.

Gina - (I still love her hair) - "Paint It Black" - Does her rocker chick thing and it's a bad song choice. She was all over the place, I thought. The end notes were good, and she needs to pick a rock song that reflects that. Something by Queen, Heart, Janis Joplin, Pat Benatar...

Chris S. - "She's Not There" - Great song choice for him and he sings it really well, but I just wanted him to get on that stage...he's out of breath by the time he gets up there. But a perfect song for his voice.

Ryan is making an obscene hand gesture! He's going to be so embarrassed when he sees that played back.

Melinda - "As Long As He Needs Me" - The judges are running out of superlatives. So am I, so I'll say the only negative thing I've said about her so far: it was a teensy bit boring.

My guess for tonight's Bottom 3: Phil, Haley and Stephanie. Like I said, if the little girls are as crazy about Sanjaya as the one in the audience is, he's not going anywhere for a very long time.

No comments: