3.13.2007

Idol Top 12: Performances

We're live on the big stage at last. There's a sign in the audience that reads, "Fro Patro". God, I hate that. HATE. Tonight is Diana Ross night - she's the coach this week and the gang will be choosing a song of hers to sing. I was sort of wanting her to be all diva-y and standoff-ish and not wanting people to touch her or something, but she turns out to be pretty nice. Hugs and good advice for everyone. And she looks great.

OK, here we go.

Brandon - "Can't Hurry Love" - It's gotta be so tough going first but even so, it's quite the mess. And what's worse is that despite his weird Elvis move, the way his voice cracks and the fact that he forgot the words, it's a forgettable mess. Not good.

They just showed Chris S. He's freaking me out without his glasses.

Melinda - "Home" from The Wiz - Before she gets to sing, Ryan accuses Simon of wearing high heels and Simon in turn tells him to come out of the closet. Awesome. Anwyay, I don't know this song at all, but it doesn't matter - I get chills when she sings. She just KNOWS what she's doing. Oh my God, Paula is bawling her eyes out! I don't know how she recovered in time for the next singer. If I was crying that hard, I would have been done for the night!

Chris S. - "Endless Love" - Dude messed with the arrangement big time and it was not good. Vocally he was alright, but that Coldplay version was way too distracting. Simon's right, he needs to keep the glasses, image-wise. He also needs to just sing, and not overthink the thing.

Gina - "Love Child" - I love this song. She did a good job, but sort of boring. Her choices were limited as far as finding a Diana Ross song to fit her style, and I think she picked the one that suited her best. I just love her hair.

Sanjaya - "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" - He chose THIS song? What the hell is going on with his HAIR? And the earrings?? God, I can barely watch. He's completely overpowered by the band, and he has barely enough breath to make it across the stage. The word that comes to mind? Limp. Oh, and horrible.

Haley - "Missing You"- It's a good song choice for her but then she forgets the words and things fall apart after that. Simon makes her cry by being nice to her. I didn't think it was as bad as Randy and Paula thought and I'm glad Simon gave her some encouraging words, if only so it gets her more votes than Sanjaya.

Phil - "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me"- He still looks like he wants to eat my brains, but he's sounding better in his lower register. It's a trade-off, though, because he gets way too shouty on the power notes. Better than last week, I though.

Lakisha - "God Bless the Child" - Wow, just fantastic. She didn't oversing it and did a remarkable job. God it would be so awesome if it came down to just her and Melinda.

Blake - "You Keep Me Hangin On" - Another one who did his own arrangement. It sounds like a disco remix version of the song, with some Michael Jackson/Timberlake thrown in. He seems really nervous and vocally weak, I thought. He's a better singer than that.

Stephanie - "Love Hangover" - It was okay, but sort of boring. She sang well, it just wasn't the best choice.

Chris R. - "The Boss" - God if I had a gun I would have shot my TV! I just wanted him to stop the noise. Please.

Jordin - "If We Hold On Together" - First Mulan and now Land Before Time. She really is young, isn't she? And really beautiful. I don't think it's bad, but I wasn't as impressed as the judges were. She was sort of all over the place and seemed to be searching for the right note.

Tonight Ms. Ross sings and one of the 12 goes home. It should be Sanjaya, NO question, but I think it will be either Brandon or Haley. Thank you Jesus, the results show is only a half hour tonight, from 9:00 to 9:30!

2 comments:

Michael Markowitz said...

Who knew that the worst Diana Ross performer would turn out to be Diana Ross? That was SO AWFUL even Ryan artfully avoided praising it. A catalog of everything they criticize contestants for: pitchy, forgotten words (the first ones!), and screaming... Geeeyad!

If this season is just going to be a season-long coronation for Melinda and/or Lekisha it's going to be hard for me to care.

gina said...

Oh my God, Mike, she (Ms. Ross) was so bad! Not only did she sound awful, she appeared to be 3 sheets to the wind. I was on the edge of my seat, waiting for her to do a face plant right there in front of all of America, lol.