1.10.2008

376 Days Left


My sister got me the Bad President Countdown Calendar for Christmas and, surprise surprise, I love it. It's a page-a-day calendar that includes photos (not too many, thankfully), historical information and quotes from commentators and entertainers, as well as from the man himself.

Since the Writers' strike has left me bereft of content (how sad is that?!) and I'm not feeling all that creative, I thought I'd share some of my favorite quotes so far (the countdown began on September 20).

First, a few brilliant nuggets from the world of late-night TV:

"President Bush met with the president of South Korea. Things got off the an awkward start when President Bush asked, "Are you from the good Korea or the bad Korea?"
~ Conan O'Brien, June 2005

"Did you see the speech? President Bush spoke from Jackson Square in New Orleans. It wasn't his first choice for a backdrop, but the water wasn't quite deep enough for the aircraft carrier."
~ Bill Maher, September 2005

"It's been reported that, in the event of an emergency situation with North Korea, the U.S. is prepared to send 70 percent of the Marine Corps to the region. According to President Bush this will still allow us to send another 70 percent to Iran and keep our other 70 percent in Iraq."
~ Tina Fey, February 2005


And finally, a few words from the Commander in Chief himself:

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with woman all across this country."
Poplar Bluff, Missouri, September 6, 2004

"I always jest to people, the Oval Office is the kind of place where people stand outside, they're getting ready to come in and tell me what for, and they walk in and get overwhelmed in the atmoshphere, and they say, man, you're looking pretty."
Washington, DC, November 4, 2004

"This very week in 1989, there were protests in East Berlin and Leipzig. By the end of that year, every communist dictatorship in Central America had collapsed."
The 20th Anniversary of the National Endowment for Democracy, Washington, DC, November 6, 2003

"I'm the commander -- see, I don't need to explain -- I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being president."
As quoted by Bob Woodward in The Washington Post, November 20, 2002

God, 376 days feels like forever!

No comments: