4.27.2007

Idol Gives Back: Top 6 Results and Telethon

I'm going to skip the recap this week. I just can't be critical or cynical after seeing so much real sadness. But I will make a couple of comments.

(Oh, and no one was eliminated, "in the spirit of things", but this Tuesday's votes will be added to next week's and 2 contestants will be going)

1. The Celine/Elvis thing was technically amazing and, well, amazingly freaky.



And I'm going to contradict myself here and be cynical on this one thing: The money they spent putting that together could have been much better spent. How many mosquito nets would that have translated into?

2. I thought the best performance of the night was Kelly Clarkson with Jeff Beck.



She was incredible! Doesn't it look like she and Jeff Beck had never met until that moment? I'll be downloading that song, for sure (You can download it at iTunes and the money goes to Idol Gives Back).

3. We got Bono! At last! For 2 minutes at the end!



4. And the funniest part of the night:



I think that the concept of Idol Gives Back is a good one, but the execution was a bit clumsy. It was a weird mix to have the telethon draped over the frame of a results show. It should be a separate event, imo.

If you'd like to make a donation to Idol Gives Back - a donation to help in the fights against AIDS, malaria and hunger in Africa and poverty, hunger and illiteracy in the U.S. - please go here. And see if there's anything at iTunes that you'd like to download!

5 comments:

Michael Markowitz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael Markowitz said...

I will respectfully disagree about Celine et Elvis... This gimmick was done so much better before, even in commercials. It was agonizingly obvious when they were using the body double's shoulder. Why not skip the stage portion completely and just do it on screen, like Natalie Cole did with Nat King Cole with Unforgettable? And why not pick a decent song while you're at it?

And yeah, you're right Carrie and Jeff were great, Simon and Homer were awesome, EW&F were great, I liked Rascal Flatts... but yeah... the show was really blah. I was stunned. It makes me afraid for how the Emmys will turn out. I thought these guys would turn out a whiz bang night. But you cant fault such a well-intentioned evening, especially one with a spectacular result.

Oh, wait, I can: Right after Bono's disappointingly brief appearance, when our "Sad 6" started to sing, the first one (was it Jordin?) was SO OFF KEY I know wherever Bono was he was weeping Guiness.

Michael Markowitz said...

I meant Kelly and Jeff, of course.

J said...

Hey Gin - I loved it when Lisa Simpson yelled "I love dogs, whheeee!" That was perfect. Tom doesn't even watch the show and was just insulted that it was Celine with Elvis and not someone else - that made me laugh. That's my post down below over my disappointment in Bono as "mentor". I feel ripped off yet relieved. KWIM?

ps - it was weird to see so much Save the Children coverage...

gina said...

Mike - I agree with you about the Elvis body double. At one point he was swiveling his hips the way a 10-year-old would if he was doing an Elvis impersonation (or is it impression? ;) And yes, Jordin was horribly off key to start!

J - The Lisa line about loving dogs made us LOL.