4.10.2007

Idol Top 8: Performances

Tonight is Latin night and J Lo is our guest coach.

(the camera pans the audience and there's Nathan Fillion! He's in the new FOX show "Drive". Oh and there's Mickey Dolenz but I don't really care about him. Show Nathan again!)

Jennifer Lopez is right when she says that the key to Latin music is the passion. Let's see if any of these people have any...

Melinda - "Sway"...I don't know this song. She sings it well, of course, but it's a little old-fashioned. She's wearing a very flattering dress and the wig looks good on her. Maybe they finally found a look for her.

Lakisha - "Conga"...This is one of my least favorites songs. In fact, it wouldn't bother me if I never had to listen to Gloria Estefan or Miami Sound Machine ever again in my life, so Lakisha's got one strike against her already. She's a better singer than Estefan (who isn't?), but...she seems disconnected, and it wasn't as "performed" as it should have been.

Chris - "Smooth"... It's a good, contemporary song choice, but he sort of massacred it, didn't he? Gosh that was bad. The judges, however, love him. What do I know?

Haley - "Turn the Beat Around"...Another Estefan song and it's brutal. She's got her hot pants on again. Smart girl. You know, I don't think I've ever seen anyone as white as Haley.

Phil - "Maria, Maria"...I can't really think of anything to say about it. It's...Phil.

Jordin - "Rhythm is Gonna Get You"...Oh my GOD, Estefan again. Again I'm not "feeling" it. I was actually kind of bored. Is it because I don't like Gloria Estefan music? I don't think she can sing and maybe Jordin sounds flat because she's trying to sound like her?

These people are about as passionate as Mr. Rogers.

Blake - "Need to Know"...OK, I was hoping one of them was going to sing this song tonight. He is definitely the best so far tonight. By a MILE. Sheila thinks he has socks in his pants. I think she may be right.

"The embodiment of Latin passion" - "Besame Mucho"...I can't believe this. He's actually making me interested in what he's singing. He actually sounds, well, good. He even looks kind of cute. Excuse me, I need to go slap myself.

Jennifer Lopez was an awesome coach, but they all pretty much sucked the life out of the songs they sang. Bad night. Muy bad.

Bottom 3: Phil, Haley and ? Chris, maybe? Or perhaps we'll have a shocker and Lakisha will be in the Bottom 3? Tune in tonight to find out.

No comments: