4.18.2007

Idol Top 7: Performances

It's country night, and I predict at least one Keith Urban song and one Rascal Flatts song. And some serious crashing and burning. Ryan starts things out with a condolence message to those involved in the Virginia Tech tragedy. It's awkward, but necessary.

Martina McBride is our guest coach this week. Let's see how she did.

Phil - "Where the Blacktop Ends", Keith Urban - ding! ding! - He really is shaped like a pear, isn't he? This is a good song choice for him. Wow, Phil is a country singer - who knew?!

Jordin - "Broken Wing", Martina McBride...Wow again. She can really sell a song, surprising for someone so young.

(Oh, EW. That Smeagol-y Constantine is in the audience doing his creepy thing, STILL)

Sanjaya - "Something to Talk About", Bonnie Raitt. God, we're back to the old Sanjaya, listless and flat and pitchy and completely lacking any rhythm and stupid and a COMPLETE WASTE OF MY FREAKING TIME.

Sorry.

Lakisha - "Jesus Take the Wheel", Carrie Underwood...It's weird to hear her singing a country song, I agree, but I don't think it was as bad as the judges said. Besides, it's not that great a song. However, I do think she has a problem in the personality department. She needs to smile more.

Chris - "Mayberry", Rascal Flatts - ding! ding! I knew it!...And I just knew he was going to sing one of their songs. I don't like the way that guys sings, either. This should have been a better fit. He hits a couple of really bad notes, and overall it sort of stunk. I think the judges have finally figured out that Chris can't sing. You seem like a nice guy, Chris, but I'm sorry, you just can't sing.

Melinda - "Trouble is a Woman", Julie Reeves...Martina tells Melinda that she's so good it won't matter that no one knows the song and for maybe the first time on American Idol, she's right. She looks pretty and young and she's the best of the night. Easily.

Blake - (did he just point at the socks in his pants?), "When the Stars Go Blue", Tim McGraw...It's very 80s-like, isn't it? In fact, most of his performances remind of 80s British music. He looks like he's really struggling, but it's pretty good. I've never heard the song and truth be told, I can't imagine Tim McGraw singing it, but I guess that's good for Blake.

Not too much crashing and burning, and that's a good thing.

So, I'll predict that tonight's Bottom 3 will be Phil, Chris and Lakisha. I think Phil will live to see another week and Chris and Lakisha will be the bottom 2.

2 comments:

~J said...

Yea! I was waiting for you to post so I could post my comments. :)

Phil: I like the start of this…it’s got this strange country-river dance kind of tone, lol. Still not the best vocals but I think country suits his voice. I didn’t like the soulful lick at the end, though. Sorry Martina. Still, his best in a while. I listened to the whole thing.

Jordin: boring. I kept waiting for it to pick up steam. It never did. So I fastforwarded. What a dreadful song selection. After hearing the judges, I went back and listened to the rest figuring I missed something. But, totally still not impressed.

Sanjaya: That boy so can’t sing. And he doesn’t even seem to be having fun with this song which was the whole point of him something. Ugh! His little riffs are horrid. Must. Fast. Forward.

Lakisha: I think her vocals were a little odd this tonight. But I do love her voice. There really is something about it. But…the lyrics…they make me giggle. I feel like it’s the lyrical equivalent of ‘Dog is my co-pilot” I don’t know why. It makes me giggle.

Chris: What? What? WHAT? I’ve heard half a verse and his vocals and the song suck. Make it stop. Fast forwarding…..good goodness, his ending sucked just as bad.

BTW, Simon is BRUALLY honest tonight.

Ga. How can you say something bad when he pulls the VT card?

Have I ever mentioned that I think Melinda looks like the female ogre from Shrek? Isn’t that horrible? But now that I’ve said it…you agree, don’t you?

Melinda: I SO want her hair!!! What’s that kid’s naughty song? I’m singing down on jailbird street going cheep cheep cheep. Totally hated the song. But she was rockin’.

Blake: Pitch problems abound. It was somewhat painful. But he still managed to sell it better than others who had pitch problems. And for that, I don’t think he’ll be in the bottom three.

Bottom three: Sanjaya, Lakisha (gasp), Chris

Voted off: Chris

gina said...

I'm beginning to get a feeling that tonight may be Sanajay's night. I don't know, it's just a gut feeling.

Or maybe it's just wishful thinking. Sigh.