4.03.2007

Idol Top 9: Performances

It's Tony Bennett night. Pop culture-wise, he's not all that relevant, I know, but I really like the way he sings. It'll be interesting to see who, if anyone, crashes and burns with this style of music.

Blake - "Mack the Knife"...Vocally it's good, but the feeling isn't there. It's a little too smooth and not dangerous enough. And he's dressed like my high school Earth Science teacher, Mr. Mayell.

(Ah, my favorite commercial, the Diet Coke ad with Judy Garland singing "What'll I Do?" I can relate!)

Phil - "Night and Day"...Wow, I didn't think he could sing that well. And wow, I don't agree with the judges at all, I thought he did a really good job (especially if you closed your eyes). He's breaking out in a flop sweat, though. He must be low on brains.

Melinda - "I Got Rhythm"...She is just amazing. Amazing, amazing, amazing.

Chris - "Don't Get Around Much Anymore"... Once again, he gets the performance part down pat, and he's adorable, and he wasn't too nasally. And I still don't think he can sing.

Jordin - "On a Clear Day"...Very nice. She really is unbelievably composed for a 17-year-old. Bad pants, though.

Gina - "Smile"...(Aw, Tony's crying!)...She does a very pretty job with the song. I don't like it as much as last week, but it was strong enough to keep her in the competition. Hey, what's wrong with her right eye? It looks like her eyelashes stuck together!

Sanjaya - "Cheek to Cheek"...Hey, it's Tony Montana! Say hallo to my leetle friend!

Haley - "Ain't Misbehavin'"... How is it that she's got this incredible body, yet no matter how hard she tries she just isn't all that sexy, even singing this song? "Pageanty" is right, Simon.

Lakisha - "Stormy Weather"...Hmm. She's good, of course, but I'm not sure I like this version of the song. Isn't it supposed to be more subdued and "torchy" and sultry?

My guess for tonight's Bottom 3: Phil, Haley and Gina. It could be any of those going home.

No comments: