5.16.2007

Idol Top 3: Performances

Each contestant sings 3 songs: A judge's pick, a producer's pick and a singer's pick.

Judges' Picks

Jordin - Simon chooses "Wishing on a Star" for Jordin. She starts off sort of shaky but it picks up in the chorus and I can see why Simon picked it. She looks very pretty.

Blake - "Roxanne"... Paula chose this song and I think it's a good choice for him. It's not a Singer's song, but I think she picked up on his 80's vibe. He's changed his hair color again. And that's probably the best outfit choice of the season for him. No old man pants and his butt doesn't look huge.

Wow, Simon has some serious product in his hair!

Melinda - "I Believe in You and Me" by Whitney Houston! WTF? This song was chosen for Melinda by Randy, who has told anyone who has ever sang a Whitney song to NOT even attempt a Whitney song. And he picks a crappy one at that! Sigh. But she makes some magic with it, of course. Randy says he picked it to challenge her. Whatever. I don't blame her for calling Randy Johnson.

Producers' Choice

Jordin - "She Works Hard for the Money"... Wow, what a shitty song choice. She's got her stripper shoes on, appropriately enough. Jeez, she can't walk in those at ALL. They must make her like 6'4"! It was just okay, I think. She's not as good on the fast-paced songs. So far, she's not having the best night.

Blake - "This Love" by Maroon 5. It's a perfect choice for his voice and modern, which is the one thing he's got going for him over the other two. That and the whole boy thing. Overall it was another good performance.

Paula's hair looks really pretty tonight.

Melinda - "Nutbush City Limits"... Oo, a Tina Turner song! And she rocks! How many singers can do a Whitney song and then a Tina Turner song and knock both of them out of the park? I would have preferred hearing "You Better Be Good to Me" or "Simply the Best", because those are so recognizable that I think she would have brought the house down, but this was still awesome.

Singers' Choice

Jordin - "I Who Have Nothing" She repeats her best performance from the season. Does that hurt or help? I don't know. I'm still not jazzed about her high notes, but there's no question, that was very good.

Blake - "When I Get You Alone", by Robin Thicke. You know what, it's not bad. I think this could be a single. He can't outsing the other two, he's gotta do something to stand out and I think he really made himself a serious contender tonight.

Randy still has no hair.

Melinda - "I'm a Woman"... Another repeat performance, and this time she brings out her backup singers. Classy move. She really has an amazing range of styles. As Simon would say, I want "my girl Melinder" to win.

Who's going home tonight? I think it's a toss-up between Blake and Jordin, but there's a small part of me that is worried about Melinda, the part that voted last night for 20 minutes with only one busy signal. Yipe!

7 comments:

J said...

Hey Gin - I thought the same thing trying to keep Jordin in there, it was way too easy to vote. I think it may have to do with less public interest perhaps? Last year there was so much more buzz around Elliot, McFever and Soul Patrol in the final 3...

~J said...

I actually decided last night that I really REALLY don't like Blake. I can't stand his voice or his beat boxing and I can't stand looking at him. I am so old. And I don't care. I don't like him. I hope he goes. If Melinda goes, I'm not watching anymore.

And I'm in a cranky mood.

Anonymous said...

You're not old - he is just stupid, lol. I think it would be a travesty if he wins.

~J said...

Well, in some ways I'm glad....I've deleted my season pass for American Idol and I really have zero desire to watch it again, ever. Over-reacting? Maybe? But I don't care, lol.

Yes, that's right, now I'm cranky and bitter.

Anonymous said...

Melinda was robbed. I have so much less interest in how it all turns out now. Jordin had better win, though. Blake? Just can't stand his music. I may be old, but I'd NEVER have enjoyed him, no matter what age I was.

Holly

gina said...

Ah, welcome to the wonderful world of American Idol, Jill. We put ourselves through this every year!

gina said...

J - I agree re: the buzz. They barely did any background pieces on these guys and we know almost nothing about them or their families. I don't know if that was a conscious decision on the part of the producers or if they just couldn't fit it in because of all the charity and contests and product placement. Whatever the reason, I think it had an effect and the "buzz".