12.06.2005

LOST Baggage.

What Kate Did.



And so the Daddy issues keep coming.

I’m sounding like a broken record but again, I really liked this episode. Kate isn’t a favorite of mine, but I don’t hate her (I don’t have a severe dislike of anyone on the island, actually), so I didn’t mind seeing more of her backstory. I sort of get the whole “I killed him because after the years of him drinking too much, beating on my mother and looking at me the wrong way, finding out he was my real father was the straw that broke the camel’s back” reasoning, and that she’s attracted to Sawyer because of the whole redneck/bad boy similarity to her father, but I didn’t quite buy the father’s reason for not telling her that Wayne was her real father: “Because you would have killed him.” Huh? Was she particularly murderous as a little girl? Anyhoo, she’s going through a serious inner struggle with her badness (something else she has in common with Sawyer – and I like her better when she’s interacting with Sawyer than with Jack – she’s more relaxed), and I think the kissing of Jack was a way to try to connect with the goodness in him. But he didn’t seem to react the way she wanted him to. Or perhaps it's the other way around?

So, the horse. Since Sawyer saw it, too, I say it’s similar to the polar bear, in that something on the island made it manifest itself from her subconscious mind. What does it represent to her? I don’t know. Her freedom? I thought the horse helped her get away from the Marshall, but I've seen at other sites that people are saying that it was a deer that ran the car off the road and then the horse appeared. I don't know, I'm still convinced it was the horse that ran in front of the car. Or maybe it represents her chance to leave her past behind, which is a kind of freedom. It's a pretty horse, whatever it represents. I think Sawyer/Wayne attacking her and asking her why she killed him was the same thing – from her subconscious mind – but Sawyer telling Jack that he loved Kate was really Sawyer. (Or maybe that was Jack’s subconscious revealing itself?)

I picked this tidbit up at TWoP: Check out this screencap from the scene where Kate enters the recruiting center where her father is working:

http://timdorr.com/images/Lost/thatsjustsayid.jpg

Look who’s on the TV in the background! Someone was saying that the voiceover was saying something about the army, the desert, Iraq, Kuwait...probably a recruiting film. Neat.

I liked all of the hatch stuff. Locke and Eko make a great pair. I nearly jumped when I saw it was the cut piece of film in the bible, but sadly it didn’t reveal much more than I had already surmised – don’t use the computer for anything besides inputting the code. Interesting, however, that doing so will bring about another “incident”. What does that mean? Is that really what will happen? And where is the power source coming from for all of this?

The best part was, of course, the “Dad?” !! I may be dense, but I did not see that coming. I was too freaked that Michael was using the computer for something besides inputting the code right when the guy was telling them not to. I thought maybe they should have racked up the drama there a little bit more, insofar as they are marooned on a desert island and here is a possible connection to the outside world, hence a possible rescuer, and Michael's just like, "Oo, someone wants to chat." I'm not sure if that was the real Walt or not. Could it be an island trick? Or the Others trying to trick the computer's user into causing another incident? Question: When Michael looked at the countdown clock, was it stopped at 23:00?? I actually taped it last night because I was doing laundry at the same time, so I’ll have to take a look at that again.

And what are those blast doors all about?? Do they shield the place from something like an EMF pulse or “incident”? Michael really is a Renaissance man, huh?

I liked the scene between Jack and Ana Lucia, too. Like Kate is with Sawyer, Ana Lucia is more palatable when she’s interacting with Jack.

I see the castaways have started putting down roots in the area, with their little hut village on the beach now. I was thinking last night that we haven’t had a storm episode yet, where a hurricane or typhoon or something blows through.

And the award for the most visually pleasing moment of the episode goes to:



Heads up: There will be no new LOST episodes until January. That's just not right.

1 comment:

Michael Markowitz said...

I agree that DAD? was the biggest shocker since the other two big shockers this season: Shannon's death, and "YOU!" (when Jack saw Desmond in the hatch)

I was listening to a LOST podcast and these two fans were saying they didn't like the horse because it was unbelievable that the horse would be there on the island. THAT's unbelievable?? After all that's happened? Isn't it funny where people draw their arbitrary lines?

This show rocks.