12.07.2005

Stupid Question.

Saddam's Trial Adjourned Until Dec. 21.

This headline has reminded me of something I've always wondered about but never remembered to ask: Is "Saddam" his first name? If so, why is it OK that we use his first name like that? It seems to me that we should call him Hussein. Am I wrong? Do we or have we ever referred to any other world leader that way? Look at all the other "bad guys" in recent history: Hitler, Stalin, Kruschev, Castro, Qaddafi, Amin - did the media call them Adolf, Joseph, Nikita, Fidel, Muammar or Idi?

Is it weird that we call him Saddam, or is it just me?

It's probably just me.

2 comments:

Esther said...

To be honest, I'd never really thought about it. I've almost always referred to him as 'f*cking jackass'.

Anonymous said...

Good question! A full explanation can be found at: http://archives.stupidquestion.net/sq101002.html.

Enjoy!