2.28.2007

Idol: Top 10 Guys - Dedication Night

What went down:

Phil - Dedicated his performance to his Navy peeps. He sang "Missing You" by John Waite and I like his voice but damn, those eyes scare me.

Jared - Dedicates his song to Mom and Dad, and then proceeds to suggest they Get it On, a la Marvin Gaye. He actually sounds a lot like MG, but he doesn't quite bring the sexiness, I don't think.

AJ - Also dedicated his performance to Mom and Dad (his, not Jared's). I don't know what the song is, but it's a surprisingly good choice. The judges give him high marks, but I'm not sure he isn't a little too "diva-y" for middle America.

Sanjaya - His song goes out to his grandfather, who I think he was trying to channel with the clothes and song choice. Either him or Michael Jackson. I can barely watch, thinking, "they're gonna tear him apart." And they do. Randy tells him it was like a "Bad high school talent show, where you borrowed your dad's hat." That's when we muted the judges.

Chris - Dedicated his song to his very lovely wife, Sarah. Who knew? He sings "Trouble" and I just love his voice. I really, really liked that.

Nick - Sings that old AI standby "Fever", and dedicates it to his girlfriend. He gets Simon snapping his fingers, sings it well, but like Simon says he needs to work on his charisma. I agree.

Blake - (he looks stupid) He dedicates Virtual Insanity, by Jamiroquai, to his parents. He's staying contemporary and does a good job. Except for the hat. Please don't ever wear that again, Blake. Randy and Paula love it, but I prefer the way he sang last week. So does Simon. He is me, I guess.

Brandon - Hyper-sensitive Brandon dedicates his song, Time After Time, to his grandmother. He sounds great in the chorus, but just okay otherwise. Bonus: We find out that Simon loves Grandmas and puppies.

Chris R. - Another Grandma dedication, but he calls his Big Momma. He sings "Geek in the Pink" by Jason Mraz, and there's more of that bobbing that I don't like, and the band is kind of drowning him out, but the judges love him. I don't and I don't know if it's because he isn't good or if it's because I'm not a fan of that style of singing and I'm not a big fan of his voice. I'm in the minority, I'm sure.

Sundance - I have an irrational need for him to do well, and I'm not sure why. Maybe because he showed so much promise in his audition. Sundance dedicates his song, Mustang Sally, to his brand-new two and a half month old son Levi, crying through the entire dedication. He lets it rip on Mustang Sally, and does a great job. FINALLY.

I think Nick and Sanjaya are gonna go. However, if the little girls vote enough to keep Sanjaya in the competition, then I think Brandon will go. Happily, Paula closes the show with her patented seal clap.

BTW, I've been impressed with Paula's relative clarity so far this season. Well-played, Paula!

Tonight, the Top 10 Girls at 8:00 P.M.

No comments: