2.20.2007

Idol: Top 12 Guys

I'm really strapped for time, so this will be more a collection of impressions than a real,thought-out recap.

First, the Judges' introduction. In short: Randy's getting chubbier; Paula has yet another haircolor and cut; and Simon states the obvious for the singers: "sing well".

The Performers:

Rudy Cardenas, 28 - He sings Free Ride (by the Doobie Brothers?). He's very corny and I don't like the dancing.

Brandon Rogers, 29 - Rock With You, Michael Jackson; very cute and a very good singer, but kind of boring and somewhat forgettable.

Sundance Head, 28 - Knights in White Satin by the Moddy Blues, a weird song choice; Paula suggests he rub his man-boobs like Simon! A disappointing performance.

Paul Kim, 25 - Never Gonna Dance Again, George Michael - As much as I hate to use this cliche, it was very karaoke.

Ryan has really long feet. I'm just sayin'.

Chris Richardson, 22 - I Don't Wanna Be, Gavin DeGraw- His parents totally get down. The Judges like him. But I don't like his voice or his head bob.

Nick Pedro, 25 - Unfortunately, I can't remember what he sang. I don't like it when guys wax their eyebrows, so he's got a few strikes against him already.

Blake Lewis, 25 - Sings a Keane song; 5 seconds in and he's my favorite of the night, very relaxed and confident, and contemporary. And he gets points for no beat box crap.

Sanjaya Malakar, 17 - Pretty face and pretty voice but what the heck song was he singing? My sister Mary says it's "his mother's favorite song".

Chris Sligh, 28 - I think he is so good. American Idol material? Maybe not, but that won't change my mind about him.

Jared Cotter, 25 - Nice voice but very pointy-looking. He sings Brian McKnight, You're the Only One for Me, and he has distractingly enormous hands. Reminds me of Spock's father.

AJ Tabaldo, 22 - Sings a Luther Vandross song. It's a good song choice for him, from what little I have seen of him, but not my style

Phil Stacey, 29 - He's a weird combination of Boy George and Harry Connick, Jr The judges love him, but I can't get past the resemblance to Nosferatu. Unfair, I know.

I'd like it if Rudy and Paul left, but I think it will be Rudy and Sundance.

OK, 20 minutes until the Top 12 women...

No comments: