3.30.2008

Earth Hour 2008


Earth Hour 2008, originally uploaded by gina64.

We observed Earth Hour tonight, turning off all lights in the house (as well as all non-essential electrical appliances and electronics) for one hour, beginning at 8:00 PM local time.

I decided to take the opportunity to snuggle in bed with a good book and read by candlelight. As you can see, it was pretty damn dark! I managed well enough, as long as I put the book on the edge of the bed and leaned WAY over.

I was just reading this CNN article about the worldwide response to this year's Earth Hour, and this part cracked me up:

Ireland's more than 7,000 pubs elected not to take part, in part because of the risk that Saturday night revelers could end up smashing glasses, falling down stairs or setting themselves on fire with candles.

It's good to know your limitations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gina -

That's a PHENOMENAL photo!

I thought Earth Hour was really cool. I enjoyed sitting by candlelight and reading a book with my flashlight. Of course, I didn't make it through the hour before I had a strong desire to shut my eyes ;) I slept for about 15 minutes until one of my cats woke me up right after 9:00.

~Holly

gina said...

Thanks, Hol! I had a feeling you'd be nodding off, lol.