3.14.2008

LOST: Episode 4.07 (Discussion)


Ji Yeon

After Desmond's, the episodes centering around Sun and Jin have always been my favorites. I have never been bored while watching them and I have always been moved. Last night's episode was no exception.

I seem to be in a minority of people who did not feel cheapened or unduly manipulated by Jin's flashback. While I can see and understand the controversy, I personally don't have a problem with it. It was a sneaky way to reveal that Sun is one of the Oceanic 6 while Jin is not, and I loved it. Maybe it's because the show can do no wrong in my eyes right now, who knows. I just know that I never felt overly manipulated and maybe that's because this show has been jerking me around for years now!


  • So who thinks Jin is actually dead? Me, I'm going to assume that he isn't until I see him take his very last breath. I just can't accept it yet. His tombstone said he died on 9/22/2004, and we all know he didn't die on that day, so here are a couple of scenarios: 1) Jin dies on the island before Sun leaves (maybe in the process of saving her and the baby) and he becomes part of the O-6 cover story or 2) Jin was left behind on the island (maybe they could only take one more person and he told Sun to go in order to protect her and the baby) and he becomes part of the O-6 cover story. Obviously, I prefer option 2. And if he's still alive on the island then we have an amazing reunion episode waiting for us.

  • Speaking of the O-6, we have 5 definites, right? Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid and Sun. Are they saying we know them all now? If so, I guess the sixth is Aaron.

  • Way to get Jin's attention, Juliet! That was pretty harsh, but I really think she did it because she had no other option. And besides, it worked.

  • Was there a particular occasion that prompted Hurley's visit to Sun? The christening? No, wait, they probably aren't christening the baby. Hee. The anniversary of Jin's 'death' then? And why would Hurley say "Good" when Sun said no one else was going to be there?

  • Michael as Benry's MOTB was probably the most anti-climactic reveal ever on television! Sayid is just too cool. I'm trying to rememeber - did Desmond ever meet Michael? I don't think he did. I think it's safe to say that Michael slipped that "Don't trust the Captain" note under the door. Now, since he's Benry's man and Benry certainly has an agenda, do we trust the note and not trust the Captain? Or do we not trust the note and trust the Captain? Auugh! I am inclined to believe the Captain, at least for now.

  • Riddle me this: How do we reconcile the discovery of the planted wreckage, which contained all 324 people aboard, with the O-6 cover story that Jack told? Shouldn't that mean that there would be 8 less people found on the plane?

  • Hey! It's Regina! Hi Regina! You and I have the same na -- Oh, bye Regina. That was very Jacob Marley-ish, don't you think? I wonder what's making them all kill themselves?

This week Desmond has to share his special screencap spotlight with Sayid because, hoo boy, this is nice.




I just noticed that Sayid is a peanut. And Desmond still doesn't see fit to button his shirt. Thank God.

No comments: