3.18.2008

Idol: Top 11 Performances

It's tunes from the Lennon/McCartney/Beatles songbook again this week. Let's hope they didn't pick all the good songs last week.

Amanda - "Back in the USSR" - It was good, but she's going to have to make a change soon in her repertoire. I'm glad she's showing her personality more, though.

Kristy Lee Cook - "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" - I liked the way it started and she sounded sort of like Lulu. But the low notes are a little rough and the arrangement is a bit weird. Miles better than last week but not great. I want to see her blow Simon. Out of his socks.

David A. - "The Long and Winding Road" - Another one who was better (much) than last week. It did strike me as a bit Broadway-ish. That boy can hold a note.

Michael - "A Day in the Life" - Considering how much production went on with the original recording, I think he did a pretty good job. But it was not a good song choice, even if it was for his friend who died. Dude, you only get this one chance.

Brooke - "Here Comes the Sun" - She just makes me smile, like a flower child or something in her sun-yellow dress. Oh God, Paula just said the same thing. I didn't like it as much as last week.

David C. - "Daytripper" - The rock star image is complete as he tosses a guitar pick out into the crowd. I'm thinking "headtripper" might be a better term for him at this point. He was good, as usual, and he's still my favorite male performer, but he's gotta turn down the smug. A rock 'n roll attitude will only get you so far on this show.

Carly - "Blackbird" - That shirt she's wearing looks so bad on her that it's distracting me from the performance! You know, she really does have a beautiful voice. So far the best performance of the night, I think.

Jason - "Michelle" - I appreciate that you learned French for this, Jason, but I don't like it. This is a classic AI karaoke performance. It's not bad, it's just a cute guy up on stage, pouring on the cute, singing a Beatles song.

Syesha - "Yesterday" - That was her best performance so far, in my eyes. She may be back on my radar. And I think I may be starting to like her - she wasn't "on" like she always is. I like that she admitted that being in the bottom 3 last week was what she needed to shake her up.

Chikezie - "I've Just Seen A Face" - I'm not sure what to think of that. I liked parts of it, but it was really sort of a patchwork of stuff. Like the multiple personalities of Chikezie.

Ramiele - "I Shoulda Known Better" - Yes, Ramiele, you should have. This is horrific. Oh, when will it end?! Wait a minute, WTF was Randy listening to? The judges are way nicer to her than she deserved.

Tonight was lackluster compared with last week and boy did it DRAG. I agree with Simon, that doing another Beatles night a second week in a row may not have been the best idea. I think some of the performers were relying on the popularity and appeal of the songs to make their performance good instead of really making an effort.

Results tomorrow night.

No comments: