5.18.2005

Bo-dacious

American Idol's final 3 performance show was last night, and hoo-boy! the show belonged to Bo. While he was singing "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" I was actually compelled to tell the TV screen, "I love you, Bo!" How embarrassing. Then he went and brought the house down with his a capella version of "Within a Dream" by Badlands. I have never heard that song before but it doesn't matter - he's like on a totally different plane of existence than Carrie or Vonzelle now. It's a shame he had to follow that with the Stones' "Satisfaction", just a horrible, horrible song choice by Paula. Does she know anything about what she's supposed to be doing in her capacity as a judge? He did a serviceable job on the song, but still. God.

Carrie's version of "Crying" was actually quite good, I thought (I think it helped that they had her face in shadows and you couldn't see her vacant eyes while she sang such a heartbreaking song), but the poor thing had to follow Bo's a capella song and she did it with an Air Supply song. Air Supply??! Carrie! She finished with one of my absolute least favorite songs by one of country music's most overrated singers: "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!", by Shania Twain, which is actually not sung at all but sustained by personality, something Carrie is sorely lacking. But it was country, which everyone thinks is her forte, so they loved it.

Baby V will be going home tonight, I think. She was still really shaky on all of her songs, although I think she did a good job with the Simon-picked "On the Radio". She's sweet, and I really like her, but her performances haven't really been up to snuff, and Carrie has such a loyal fan base (she's never been in the bottom 3), that I don't think she's going anywhere.

No comments: