5.05.2005

Watchin' the tube.

Big TV night last night!

At long, long last an American Idol results show that rocked. And I didn't even watch it. Scott Savol was sent packing, finally. In the spirit of Cinco de Mayo, I say...Adios, Muchacho!!
*
*
LOST's "must-see" status has diminished a bit for me, I think. I was out working in the yard last night and completely forgot that it was on! There has been much too much time in between new episodes, and I think that's part of the problem. It's very easy to lose interest when you have to wait weeks for a new episode.

As a result, I started watching at 8:15, and so missed Boone's funeral. That didn't bother me at all, though, a reflection I suppose of how little Boone's character actually meant to me. Sayid's backstory was OK, and his terrorist friend was the bomb! ( so to speak) Oh those eyes. I'm not all that enamored of puppy-dog Sayid who follows Shannon around, but I love Interrogator Sayid - or maybe it's the juxtaposition of the two that I like.

Terry O'Quinn was very good, as usual. I wish he would tell just one person about how he was paralyzed before crashing on the island. That might go a long way in explaining some of his behavior. Also, I was very happy to see Sawyer in his glasses again. Jack and Kate...meh, who cares.
*
*
Now Alias, on the other hand, has skyrocketed back to "must-see" status, with recent strong episodes, especially last night's. Victor Garber made me cry. Actually, he broke my heart, but Garner made me cry. A few notes:

  • I finally felt that Jennifer Garner was there, emotionally. She seems to be flat this season and for the most part phoning in her performances. Her acting in the fake flashback was amazing - so much was conveyed in just her facial expressions.
  • I was so happy to get so much backstory and character development on Jack. His apartment was perfectly suited to his character, wasn't it? And he has a cat! I wonder what its name is? Milo (Rambaldi), perhaps? His openness with Laura/Irina about his work, while in complete contradiction with his current closed-off personality, made perfect sense. His trust in her made Irina's betrayal that much more painful and explains why he shut down so completely.
  • Well, Hol, you were sort of right about the doctor. I was so surprised that Jack had hallucinated it all. What a heartbreaking scene that was, seeing him sitting alone in that abandoned warehouse/crack den, injecting himself with whatever he was injecting himself with; I bet he never had a liquigel in his palm, either, but cut himself thinking it was there. Interesting that the main theme running through his hallucinations was the need for him to set things right with Sydney. Just thinking about it breaks my heart all over again.
  • Michael Vartan looked so incredibly hot, especially in the scene where Sydney's dressed as her mother and looking in the mirror. That blue shirt with the jacket, his eyes...damn.
  • Loved how Sloane knew where all the knickknacks should go, and his reaction to hearing that "Laura" only tolerated him.
  • Sydney Bristow hereby passes on to her sister Nadia Santos the title of Worst.Spy.Ever (tm TWoP). First the necklace, now the laptop. God.
  • That Elena is a bad mamma jamma, huh? Cool outfit she wore to break out the Hydrosec.

I'm really looking forward to these last few episodes of the season. Things are building nicely, and what with the imminent 'return' of you-know-who, I just can't wait.

No comments: