1.25.2007

Idol: "Ask one of my therapists."

I think half of last night's auditioners needed some serious therapy. Some were just sad but there were plenty of drama queens, too. Drama queens that bordered on psychotic, actually.

Last night's show, from New York, was 2 hours long and an affirmation for me that 2 hours is WAY TOO LONG. Too much time for the weirdos, in my opinion. I would much rather see a one hour show, like Memphis, that highlights the serious auditions and shows the weirdos in a short montage. I can dream.

OK, a quick, random roundup :

What the heck is Joan Collins doing on American Idol?!

Why didn't one of attention-whore Ian Benardo's two therapists prevent him from auditioning?

At first I thought that Sarah Burgess, the girl who ran away to NY in defiance of her father, was totally faking it. By the end of her segment, however, she had me convinced.

The left door is still locked! Hee!

I think I hate Ashanti. That was an audition for a soap opera. She was so full of it.

Brain surgeons Amanda and Antonella both make it to Hollywood, where these BFFs will probably part ways. The dark-haired girl (I'm not sure which is which) has more natural talent, I think.

After his rejection, harmonica-player and slightly off-kilter Clifton Biddle says, "I got shot down like an F-150." Isn't that a truck?

The only CT native to audition thus far and it has to be William Van Stone, the vaguely male female (or vice versa) from Milford, CT. Figures.

Kia Thornton is very good.

If Henry/Henri wasn't as gorgeous as he was, I don't think he would have made it through.

Poor, irrepressible Nakia. American Idol broke her. I guess she's repressible now.

Sarah Goldberg, the girl who couldn't sing but thought that it would be a novel idea if she won the competition (and I suppose it would), was downright scary.

Name-dropper Jory from Canada was good, but there's something about her I didn't like.

The woman with the extremely low-rider jeans can probably rock out, but she kind of scares me. Even if she doesn't make it past the first round, at least she got a rockin' bod out of the deal.

How do you spell Isadora? O-D-D. The girl is a clairvoyant - she should have seen it coming.

So we got 35 Hollywood-bound contestants from New York. The most from any city so far.

Next week - Birmingham, Alabama. Question: Is Birmingham the last night of auditions?

No comments: