1.18.2007

Idol: The Circus Comes to Town

If last night's show was any indication of what to expect from the rest of the season, we are in for a very, very long and bumpy (carnival) ride. This set of auditions took place in Seattle which, according to what I saw last night, is the place where all the weirdos congregate. And perhaps they do, but I'm sorry, this group was more than just weird - I'm talking mental retardation and genetic deformities, here.

I'm usually in line with Simon's thinking, but I thought he was unnecessarily mean to the boy with the bulging eyes. He didn't have to call him a "bush baby" to get his point across, you know? He was, however, much nicer to the kid's new friend, who was clearly retarded.

And what was with the software developer dude from "the vincity of Salt Lake City", who massacred "Unchained Melody"?? What was going on with his eyes? He had the most vacant look on his face. And they let him go on forever. I swear they spent 45 minutes on that guy.

Even the few people who made it through to Hollywood were a bit odd, like the girl who is 6'7"!

Gosh, I can hardly recall the ones who did make it through...I remember the kid with the fro, who worked at the gas station; and Rudy, the guy who sang the Journey song. Oh, and the 16-year-old girl from Arizona. And that's it.

By far the most memorable person of the evening, for me, was Misha, the student and "writer" with the white blonde hair, gold satin shirt and pendulous, unrestrained breasts. Watching her sing the Pussycat Dolls' "Don'tcha" was about as trippy an experience I have ever had. She's the kind of weirdo I enjoy watching.

So, we made it through the first week. Barely. Next show: Memphis Auditions, Tuesday Jan 23 at 8:00 PM. Bring on the Elvis freaks.

No comments: