3.22.2006

Idol Top 11: "Paula, you're talking rubbish."

It was 50s night, so of course our special guest was Barry Manilow. Um, okaaaay. Actually, he has a new CD of 50s covers, so...

He brings out the best in just about everyone, and seems like a really nice guy.

Oh, and Smeagol came to watch his Precious sing. Sitting next to him was Ryan Cabrera, about whom I know nothing except STUPID HAIR. There were other people in the audience that I know nothing about and Ryan kept talking to a cute but sort of weird little child of the corn.

We started things off with Mandisa who sang a Dinah Washington song I didn't know but that didn't matter since she was very, very good.

Poor, poor Bucky, of ALL people, had to follow that. I believe his fate has been sealed.

Who was next? Paris? She sang "Fever", and while she's a little to young to get it, she sings like I remember her singing back when I thought she was good. She's also toned down the obnoxiousness.

I can't remember who sang when so I'm just winging it here.

When I write out my list of singers I am always one short and it's always the same person I leave out: Lisa. She sang "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" and zzzzzzzzzzz.

It kills me to say this, but I was disappointed with Taylor last night. Stupid, stupid song choice. Even I could have pulled that song off. He's a much better singer than that and he needs a song with emotion in it to spaz out to. Did anyone else think at first that his pants were unzipped? What? You were so looking there, I know it.

The little Chicken Man toned down the sex symbol attitude and did the choirboy thing and pulled it off. He's not going anywhere and I just can't talk about it.

I don't know what the hell Elliot was singing, but it was better than last week. What really made an impression was how much better he looks. Wow!

Katharine, still my favorite, was very good and looked just stunning last night.

I'm not sure how I feel about Chris. Yeah, he's good at his thing, but I want to hear him sing. I was enjoying "Walk the Line" until he started screaming at the end, with all the lights and crap. He's way too serious all the time, too. He needs to get over himself. Oh, and from what I've been reading out on the Internets, his version of "Walk the Line" is actually not his version but can be found on a "Best of Live" CD. That's fine by me, but he should have said it was a cover and not take credit for someone else's arrangement.

Kellie was sort of freaking me out last night, what with the crazy blush and the vacant stare and her outfit from 1989. I have to admit, though, that was the best performance for her yet. Still don't like her. Oh, and how awesome was it that her mike went out?! Hee!

Finally, we had Ace. Every time I say his name I think, "Ace is the place with the helpful hardware something or other" and it really bugs the shit out of me. Anyway, Ace thinks he can sing "In the Still of the Night" all 'urban jazzy', whatever that means, and he's all sorts of bad. There was a small part of the song, near the end, where he belted some of it out and he actually sounded pretty good. Other than that, boo. He looks like the love child of Barry Gibb and Vinnie Barbarino.

So, based on singing alone, Bucky should be going tonight. But I think we'll be saying goodbye to Lisa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kellie's makeup was not unlike Cheri Oteri's character on Saturday night live, you know the cheerleader skit with Will Farrell? She's got the boxer short and country vote for sure. Naughty little Minx, come here and get your spanking... :)

Elliot did an awesome job and sang very nicely. Anyone who enjoys singing songs where real skill and talent are involved (not like the majority of stuff you know from the radio) can appreciate his performance. You don't need to know the song really, if you tried singing a similar type of song you'll have a deeper appreciation for the level of difficulty. I can't think of any male contestant from the last 2 seasons that could do it as well, not Ruben, not even the music teacher (can't remember his name), and certainly not anyone from this season. Like Randy said, "dude you picked probably the most difficult song of all tonight"

Mandisa, what is there to say she blew it out.

Ace, well he reminds me of Inglesias or that Joe Millionaire guy, pretty boy, would do well in soap opera's, say as Erica Caine's new young lover. Not going to win on vocals for sure but he has the panty vote.

Lisa, not a good performance. Really pretty and upbeat, definite club Disney or That's so Raven type material. She can sing well too, just not consistently.

Paris, another good vocalist, good job on Fever much more than anyone could hope for from most people let alone a 17 yo kid.

Taylor, yeah poor song choice but I love watching the guy. He is entertaining and infectious, certainly the best showman or woman. Yeah it's different in a Joe Cocker/Ray Charles/Travolta (Greased lightning) kinda way. He's good but the song sucked.

McPheever, Notice she's revealing more and more of that sexy physique hiding under there. She's pretty, she's got clear and controlled vocals, so effortless in her delivery.

Bucky, well the time is drawing near my friend. It's been a good run.

Chris, well at least he sticks to what he knows. It would be stupid not too. He's as good as or better in some cases, than any artist of his genre today. Randy's comment before says it all. "Dude you are ready, dude I'd cut a record with you today"

Unfortunately singing is not required to be a music star these days, just listed to the radio. Made all the more obvious by rappers trying to sing, the J-Lo's, Simpsons, Britney, Shakira, etc. There are exceptions of course but today it seems as though technology (sampling and processing) is used insted of talent. Back in the day, if you couldn't sing well, you had no chance because they couldn't process and cover up lack of skill like they can today.

Thanks for reading and sorry for any rambling. Have a good one.

gina said...

Ramble all you like, Idle! The more the merrier :).

I agree, actual singing/songwriting talent seems to have very little to do with becoming a recording star. Think back to the 70s - people like John Denver, Roger Whittaker - they could never have a career in this day and age. At least not in front of the camera.