3.08.2006

Idol's Top 8 Women: The Attack of the Stylists

When it was over I told Sheila that I didn't think any of them really tanked, and after sleeping on it, I still feel that way. It's a shame that they've set up this false boy/girl mandate thing requiring that they have 6 of each for the final 12 because I think that whatever 2 girls that are sent home tomorrow night are better than at least 2 of the guys (hello, Chicken Little and Peter Brady) who will probably make it through tonight.

I see the stylists have been working overtime this week and for the most part I liked what they did. Paris' hair was lovely, Lisa looked less like Irene Cara and much prettier with her hair straightened, Katharine ditched the maternity tops (and showed she has a great real woman's body to go along with her beautiful face) and Mandisa struck the perfect balance with her jeans and top (not an easy job for a woman of Mandisa's proportions). Unfortunately, Kinnick and Ayla are still under the delusion that the Artful Dodger is a fashion icon. And if there was one thing that Ayla did not need it was to pile her hair up on top of her head, making her at least 8'9". The only real hair and makeup disaster was Melissa. She looked like she rolled out of bed after a night of too many shooters and too little will power and stopped in at church for some absolution and Lenten ashes on the way to the show, barely making it in time.

Anyway, now that the important stuff is out of the way, how did they sing?

Paris keeps slipping. Not because she's not talented, but because she keeps making weird choices. Last night it was one of my least favorite songs from one of my least favorite performers - 'Conga' by Gloria Estefan - and even though she did it well and had plenty of energy...eh.

Is it just me, or has Lisa been singing the same song for the last 3 weeks? Boring. However, I'm not sure if it was the new hairdo or the guitar playing, but I'm starting to see a nice little human being under all that excellence.

Melissa did not deserve the treatment she got from Simon last night. I thought she did a great job on that song despite the sabotage attempt by her stylist. She deserves another week, at least.

Oh Kinnik, it was nice to know you. You seem very nice and I hope you are very successful at whatever it is you end up doing. I just hope it isn't servin' up chitlins in the corner diner.

Katharine was making a statement last night, I think, and that was "You're not in this competition, Mom. I am." Freedom, indeed. She's almost too 'white' to sing that song, but if you closed your eyes she was incredible. Talented and a goofball, she's still my favorite.

You could see by the look on her fave that Ayla is not used to failure. The song was hard to sing, though, and she did a pretty good job. Now she needs to ditch the knickers, stop squatting and act her age.

Mandisa. Perfect song. She's got some crazy power behing her voice that she needs to get under some control, but wow.

I'm not sure how I feel about Kellie. I do think she's genuinely that naive (I'm a mink!) - or stupid, take you're pick - and nice, but the judges' pimpage of her is so blatant. She's only a fair singer and the girl has no rhythm whatsoever. Do they think they have the next Jessica Simpson?

The bottom three: Melissa, Kinnik and Ayla. (Paris might be a shocker, though)

Tonight: The boys.

ETA: I LOVED the "buckin' chicken" commercial.

No comments: