4.29.2008

2500 Desire Street

That's where I'm heading next week: 2500 Desire Street, New Orleans, LA. I'm volunteering with Habitat for Humanity, along with 2 friends, and we'll be working in the Upper Ninth Ward from Tuesday through Friday. Our worksite is just a stone's throw from Musician's Village, and I'm looking forward to seeing what work has been done there so far.

The 4-year anniversary of my father's death is this Saturday, and I am taking this trip in his honor. He was a master carpenter and doing what he did so well (as if I know what I'm doing!) in order to help others is nice way to honor his memory, I think.

We'll be in New Orleans from Saturday, May 3 through Sunday, May 11, so we have a few days off in which we can tour the area and visit the French Quarter and the Garden District and eat po' boys and beignets and muffuletta sandwiches and listen to the music and drink some drinks. I'm really looking forward to it. Instead of a hotel, we've opted to immerse ourselves in the full volunteer experience (and save some money) and stay at Camp Hope, a dormitory-style converted school that houses hundreds of volunteers at a time. It should be quite the experience!

I'll be keeping a journal while I'm there and taking a bajillion photos, so prepare yourself to hear all about it when I get back.

No comments: