4.15.2008

Idol Top 7: Performances

It's Mariah Carey night and all I can think of is that Michael Johns would have been singing a bluesy version of "Vision of Love" and it probably would have been incredible.

I can also think of how sick I STILL feel (diagnosis: bronchitis), and how much I don't feel like doing this, or even watching this. I just took a couple of hits off of an inhaler for the first time, so this might be actually be interesting.

David A. - "When You Believe" - Huh. An inspirational, quasi-religious message song. Who'da thunk it? That whoosh noise you hear is the sound of his appeal going right over my head.

Carly - "Without You" - Points for Carly: I love this song (the Harry Nilsson version mostly). And finally, a nice outfit. I think she did a pretty good job, but it's not quite what it should have been. I liked the beginning, with the lower notes, but this song is all about the big high notes at the end and I don't think she hit them.

Syesha - "Vanishing" - I don't know this song, but I thought she sounded good, if a little shouty. Who knows, maybe MC was shouty on this song, too. Syesha, if you keep following the camera like that, your head will spin completely off of your neck.

Brooke - "Hero" - That was nice, and she did what she had to do to make the song different, and her own. She was a little nervous, and maybe a little quick at the end, but it was a nice, stripped-down version. Does she seem to be getting more nervous with each passing week?

Kristy Lee Cook - "Forever" - I'm sort of scared. This doesn't sound so bad sung in her countrified way, but is it just me or is she hitting some really bum notes? No matter, she's not going anywhere. In fact, I bet she's going to end up in the top 3. I think her true talent lies in picking the right song.

David C. - "Always Be My Baby" - He does a really nice rock version of that song, believe it or not. That could easily be a single. David's brother, who is dying of brain cancer, is in the audience watching him receive much deserved praise from all of the judges, and we are in tears.

Jason - "I Don't Wanna Cry" - He's got a tough act to follow, but this is pretty good. Like an Enrique Iglesias single.

I think the guys outshone the girls tonight, even though I think David A. stunk up the joint like he always does, and the Bottom 3 will be all women tomorrow night.

No comments: